Monday, November 14, 2005

iPod Disconnected...again...


Guess what? I've somehow managed to break another iPod. Can you believe it? I can't. For all of my new readers (damn, that sarcasm never gets old), I have had many problems with my iPod from HP. You can read these: iPod down, iPod down, the iPod lives on, iPod down, iPod down...again, and more iPod troubles & my lack of faith in HP support, to catch up my iPod ordeals. Let me explain my new situation:

On Thursday I was so excited because the new PodcasterNews Network was unveiled. As soon as I knew that it was up and running I immediately went to the site, joined, and subscribed to almost every feed available. I did this so I could test out all of the feeds and then unsubscribe from the ones that I didn't like. Anyway, I entered my custom RSS feed into iPodder (which I hear is now going to be called Juice). I then plugged my iPod into the USB 2.0 cable to charge it and let it update over night when iPodder fetched all of my feeds. I went to bed excited that I was going to have lots new content to listen to the next day while at work. Little did I know that I would wake up and be pissed off that my iPod was no longer working.
When I woke up the next day, I went into the computer room to have iPodder do one more run before I left for work, and all I could hear in the room was the sound of my iPod clicking away. I was furious. I was furious (1) because I would not have enough time before work to trouble shoot the problem, and (2) because my damn iPod was broken yet again! What a let down!

When I got home on Friday, after work, the first thing I did was to try and fix it. I tried all of the troublshooting tricks that HP support had me do last time I called them. I tried to restart it...no luck. I tried to run the updater...no luck. I tried to update it with iTunes...no luck. None of this worked because each time I plugged it into my computer it bogged down my computer so bad that it just froze up. So I just gave up.

Today I called HP to see about getting another unit shipped to me. I spoke to a service rep named Matt who I informed about all of the above. He then had me try to run the updater utility, which we both understood would not work, and then he said that they would have to ship me another unit. Strangely enough, their policy has changed since the last time I had this problem. Last time I had to pay to ship the unit to HP. I FedEx'ed it which cost me about $6. This time however, they will send me a shipping box at no cost, along with all of the proper labels and what not. Once I receive the box I am to call FedEx to come pick it up. The whole process should take about 7 days, Matt said. I agreed that this was acceptable and hung up the phone. After I hung up the phone I started to ruminate about what had just happened. It occurred to me that I have 10-20 friends that all have iPods, none of which have had problems like I have experienced. I called HP back and spoke to Steve. I again explained my situation to Steve and then told him that I felt like I was entitled to an upgrade due to the fact that I have had so many problems with the last 2 units. I asked him if he could upgrade me to an iPod Photo or offer me a refund. Steve told me (you won't believe this) that HP would only consider compensation after 3 service calls. This means that they would only consider an upgrade before having to send me a fourth unit. Can you believe this? I was completely baffled by this. I asked if there was anyway that he could bend the rules in order to save a customer. He apologized and said that he couldn't do anything for me at this point. I then asked if I could speak to a manger. Steve then transferred me to Randal whom I am sure was just the guy that sits next to him in the office and has no more authority at HP then Steve did. Steve told me that he couldn't help me either and that I would have to speak to his supervisor who conveniently had already gone home for the night. I thanked Randal for his help, got his extension, and you can be dam sure that I will be calling his supervisor tomorrow morning.

Stay tuned...


See ya.

No comments: