Sunday, July 31, 2005

Podcast Review: Geek News Central

As I have said in a previous post, I have been listening to podcasts since February. I began listening to podcasts almost as soon as I received my iPod. One of the first podcasts that I subscribed to is Geek News Central. GNC is a podcast that is produced by the now infamous geek, Todd Cochrane. Todd has been doing GNC since September of '04. Todd rose to podcasting fame when he published the first ever podcasting how-to book, "Podcasting: Do it yourself guide". GNC is a podcast about tech news/happenings. On Podcast Alley GNC is described as, "...a tech show for the common man...”

Geek News Central is for the common man, however that man must be willing to do some research. When I started listening to GNC I was very, very new to the tech world, and I didn't even know what the blogosphere was. I can remember listening to Todd for the first time thinking, "I have no idea what this guy is talking about!” Keep in mind that since I was new to this world I was not familiar with terms like HTML, Adsense, FireFox, Linux, CCS, and Gnomdex...etc. I kept listening. During each show I would make little notes about things I didn't understand or hadn't heard of. When I would get home at night I would spend a couple of hours on the computer learning about all these new things. After a month or so I could listen to GNC and feel like I had some understanding of what Todd was talking about.

Some things that I enjoy about GNC are: the show is well produced, with a great format; Todd explains things in a way that are easy to understand; by listening to GNC I can stay up to date with new happenings in the tech world; I like how Todd makes you feel welcome and the way he welcomes new listeners to each and every show; GNC is a very honest podcast, Todd always informs you if he is being sponsored or is employed by a manufacturer of a product that he is recommending. There are many more reasons that I enjoy this show, too many to list!! I recommend this show to all of my friends and will continue to do so. For anybody out there reading this - If you have not subscribed to the Geek News Central podcast you are really missing out on an awesome podcast! GO SUBSCRIBE NOW!!!

See ya.

No comments: